1/28/10

Remember Words Synonyms (useful for GRE GMAT and SAT) by reading this story Synonyms - Story 1

Synonyms:
Abandon, renounce, maroon, leave in the lurch, forfeit, disown, waive, ditch, abdicate, jilt, forsake, abjure, repudiate: Cast off or disown, Lose or lose the right to by some error, offense, or crime, Leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch

Story using the above synonyms:

I was left in a lurch when my so called friend-cum-business partner accused me of invading his private space and being a hurdle in his professional career. So much so that he even repudiated the fact that he was friends with me.

Fresh from graduation in Computer Science, I decided to open my own IT business solutions company with one of my high school friends John, some 5 years back. Then, little did I know that during the test of times, I would be disowned by him. It happened in following manner. 5 years back, the Federal government agency passed a law saying that if you open a business in partnership with someone else, each one of you is liable to pay some sort of tax. In order to get ourselves waived off from that tax, we decided to register the company only in name of John. John convinced me into renouncing the tag of joint CEO of our company. He made me believe that this move is just to jilt the recently laid tax reforms law and that we still are partners with both having equal share. Then, I did not realize that this move was actually meant to ditch me, not the tax laws. I happily abdicated the title of joint CEO of our company.

But, lightning struck when 6 months back, after burning midnight oil and taking the company to new heights and profits never seen before, John abandoned me and forsake me by refusing to accept me as his business partner. The move by John to abjure me was so well timed and well planned that even our employees refused to recognize me.

I almost forfeited to the activities of John and decided to move on. It was only after legal proceedings and moral support by my family that I accused John of ditching me and finally truth triumphed. John is now serving his sentence of 5 years and I am the undisputed CEO of our company.

No comments:

Post a Comment